Belgian Endive with Dried Cherry Quinoa Salad
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook/stand time: 22 minutes
Chill time: at least 1 hour
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock or broth
- 1/2 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 24 Belgian endive spears
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon stone ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh sieve; drain well. Bring stock and quinoa to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 12 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork, then let cool. Whisk together all dressing ingredients and stir into quinoa with cherries, chives and thyme. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour. Stir in walnuts and spoon into endive spears. Garnish with fresh thyme sprigs, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe tip: This light appetizer may be prepared 1 day ahead. Add walnuts and spoon into endive spears just before serving. Use a tri-color quinoa blend for extra color.
Pairing Suggestion: Pairs with California Red Blend Wine