Food & Wine Recipes
- Wine Pairing & Suggestions
- Appetizers & Salads
- Dinners & Desserts
- Napa Valley Recipes
- Chicken in Tomato & Olive Braise
- Grilled Flank Steak with Italian Salsa Verde
- Grilled Sea Scallops over Saffron Couscous
- Macaroni & Cheese with Applewood Bacon
- Maple Pork Chops with Apricot & Sage Butter
- Shrimp & Citrus Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
- Wine Country Pot Roast with Merlot and Root Vegetables
- Seasonal Recipes
- Wine-Inspired Recipes
- View All Recipes
Wine Inspired Recipes
Wine Country Pot Roast with Merlot and Root Vegetables
Prep time: 15 minutes.
Cook time: About 3 hours.
- 1 tri-tip or bottom round roast, about 3 pounds (ask your butcher to trim the fat)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup Mirassou California Merlot
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes in juice
- 6 whole cloves garlic, peeled
- 8 small boiling onions, peeled
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch segments
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch segments
- 1 small turnip, cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 small celery root, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
- 12 small white button mushrooms, stems trimmed
- 12 very small yellow potatoes such as Yukon Gold
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, stripped from the stem
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh sage
Preheat a Dutch oven over a medium-high burner for about 3 minutes, or until very hot to the upper rim. While the pot is heating, season the meat with 2 teaspoons of the kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the vegetable oil to the hot Dutch oven and allow it to heat just until it begins to smoke. Add the meat and sear on all sides until deep golden.
Pour off excess fat. Deglaze the Dutch oven with the Merlot, and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the diced tomatoes and garlic, then arrange the vegetables and potatoes around the meat. Season with the remaining teaspoon of salt and a generous grind of black pepper, and sprinkle the herbs over the meat and vegetables. Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid, and reduce the heat to low. Cook for about three hours, or until fork tender. Turn the meat and stir the vegetables once after about one hour.
Slice the pot roast against the grain, and transfer to a deep serving platter. Surround the sliced meat with the vegetables and juices and serve.
Pairing Suggestion: Pairs with Mirassou® California Merlot.